Tips for Parents & Caregivers
Even during challenging times, take steps to be your best for yourself and your kids!
1. Take time each day to do something for yourself, such as exercise, stretching, talking to friends, and reading.
2. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, give yourself a timeout, even if it’s just stepping into another room for a few minutes of peace and quiet.
3. Keep your sense of humor when things don’t go as planned. No one is a perfect parent—or a perfect child.
4. Accept that children sometimes make mistakes, are inconsistent, and act thoughtlessly—this is part of being a child.
5. Count to 10 before you react when you get angry.
6. Ease tension with a smile or joke, or by changing the subject.
7. Listen to your child and show you value your conversations. Good communication can prevent conflict.
8. Schedule in family fun and fitness.
9. Learn how children mature so your expectations for your child’s behavior are realistic.
10. Make household chores part of your children’s day so less busy work falls to you.
Stay Healthy, Stay Connected
Take care of yourself by washing your hands often, not touching your face, getting enough sleep, eating well-balanced meals, and staying active. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate-level activity five days a week.
Positive social interactions help relieve stress, depression, and anxiety. Maintain a support system of friends and family—keep in touch via phone calls, texts, email, and social media. Open up about how you’re feeling. If you’re in a relationship, make time for your partner without distractions. And if you need help, ask
© Positive Promotions, Inc. • All rights reserved. • Parent & Caregiver Support Series Tip Sheet 2