In the Lab
Global Conservation and Service
Welcome to Queens Explorers Magnet School for Global Conservation and Service Learning! We are a magnet school in southwestern Queens serving amazing global leaders in grades PreK-5. Our students develop their academic, critical thinking, and leadership skills through our magnet school theme of Global Conservation and Service Learning. What does that mean?
- All of our students complete five service learning projects each year that introduce big questions and important global and local issues.
- Our curriculum has a global focus with local connections to help students understand how we are all connected.
- Students learn to be leaders and create positive change in the world and in their local communities.
- Students learn academic and 21st century skills in the context of hands-on, real-world projects.
- We follow a rigorous, inquiry-based curriculum that fully meets all state and DOE standards.
What is a Magnet School?
Magnet schools are public schools of choice! We are part of the New York City Department of Education and have all of the same standards, programs and resources as any other public school in the NYCDOE. The Magnet School grant program provides additional funding and access to community partnerships to support innovative programming around our magnet theme. These funds support:
- Professional development to enhance our curriculum and support our Project-Based Learning (PBL) approach.
- Classroom technology and special facilities to support integration of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) into the curriculum.
- Community partnerships that provide enhanced learning opportunities for our students.
At Queens Explorers Elementary School:
We are committed to creating a welcoming and affirming learning community by teaching students the collaborative learning skills and tools to become active and engaged global citizens.
We will build character through our core values of responsibility, respect, and trust and teach social action to affect positive change in our local community and around the globe.
Students will make global connections and impact the world for the better through our multidisciplinary curriculum, social-emotional programs, and service-learning initiatives.
The QE Community
We work hard to create a learning environment that is safe, welcoming, and allows every student to thrive. Our social-emotional learning, leadership, and behavioral programs incorporate our core values of responsibility, respect, and trust. Students learn to make good choices and develop as leaders in their communities and the world through these essential values.
- RESPONSIBILITY: We all have responsibilities to ourselves, our families, our communities, and the world at large. We can all create positive change in the world through our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat ALL people with respect and kindness. We work to resolve conflicts and understand differences peacefully and productively.
- TRUST: We earn trust through our honesty and our actions. Trust is built by fulfilling our promises to each other and acting with integrity.
We have specialized facilities to support our educational programs and service learning projects.
- SunWorks Greenhouse: Our hydroponics farm is supported through a partnership with New York SunWorks. Students are introduced to urban farming while learning about nutrition, efficient land use, climate change, conservation, pollution, and sustainable development.
- Maker Space Engineering Room: Students design, experiment, build, solve problems, and invent as they deeply engage in science, engineering, and tinkering. The room is equipped with technology, craft supplies, and recycled materials to promote hands-on learning that supports our academic programs and service learning projects.
Technology in the Classroom
As a NYC Magnet School, we welcome applications from all students within the New York City DOE. First priority is given to students living within our zoned area.
To apply for 3K, PreK or Kindergarten enrollment, follow the NYCDOE Kindergarten Enrollment Process.
For out-of-zone enrollment (grades 1-5), visit our office during school hours for a Magnet School application.
We are located in Ozone Park, Queens. We are easily accessible from the A, J, and Z trains.
90-07 101st Avenue Queens , NY 11416