Queens Explorers Academics
Academics by Grade
Explorers in the Classroom
Our Integrated Curriculum
Our students engage deeply in the subject area content and grade-level standards in the context of real-world issues. We have created an interdisciplinary curriculum that incorporates science and social studies content into the English language arts and math curriculum. Our research-based approach makes learning more engaging and meaningful. Here are some things to know:
- Our interdisciplinary curriculum fully meets all New York State and NYCDOE grade-level standards for English language arts, math, science, and social studies. It is a coordinated curriculum that spans all grade levels.
- We use a hands-on, inquiry-based approach called Project-Based Learning (PBL). Students engage deeply with content through in-depth themed units that culminate in a final project.
- Our PBL units and service learning projects support development of critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity along with essential academic skills.
- In addition to the core academic areas, students have art, music and gym classes. Grades 3 – 5 have art and/or music three times per week.
Learning Through Service
Our service learning projects set our school apart and prepare our students to be leaders in their communities and the world! Each student completes five service learning projects each year. These projects integrate academics, critical thinking, creativity, and leadership skills as students work together to answer questions, solve real-world problems, and raise funds for local and global causes. Each project begins with “Guiding Questions” that support inquiry-based learning and connect to our academic curriculum.
Believe in the Creatures of the Deep Blue Sea
Our World Counts
Respect the Rainforest
It’s a Doggy Dog World
Exploring the Schoolyard
Student Leadership Program-Student Change Agents, Grades 2-5
QE produces socially conscious, critically minded, and globally aware student leaders.
Our students make decisions to improve the school environment and policies. We empower them to be agents of change in their local and global communities. They also host fundraisers, lead campaigns, and plan events to engage their peers, teachers, and community.
We have a technology-enriched curriculum to support learning and help students develop important technology skills.
- Students have access to laptops or iPads in the classroom through our 1:1 technology initiative.
- Teachers integrate apps and programs such as Google Slides, Chatterpix, Popplet, and Scratch Junior to support and enhance learning.
- Classrooms are equipped with smartboards to support interactive, technology-based instruction.
- Our Maker Space Engineering Room is equipped with technology, craft supplies, and recycled materials to promote hands-on learning.
- All students receive additional instruction in computer skills on a rotating basis during recess time.
We offer a full range of Special Education (SPED) services for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and English for New Learners (ENL) services for students learning English as a second language. Students needing SPED or ENL services will have accommodations in the classroom to ensure that they are able to meet grade-level standards. We also provide academic support for any student struggling to master the standards. Your child’s teachers will work with you to identify your child’s needs and make sure they are getting the help they need to be successful.
QE Broadcasting Team -Student Broadcasting & Journalism
QE provides students with a platform to gather information, interview sources, raise issues, report news, share stories, and their ideas using student-led television programs, and social media.
Student Learning Conferences -Democratic Decision Making
QE regularly solicits student feedback throughout the year as the school conducts Student Learning Conferences with groups of students to get a pulse on curriculum, instruction, assessment, and social-emotional learning. This allows the school to implement instructional approaches and techniques that are based on student choices, interests, passions, and ambitions.
Digital Resources for Students
Online assessment and instruction that helps teachers provide all students with a path to proficiency and growth in reading and mathematics
Online guided reading program with interactive ebooks, downloadable books, and reading quizzes. 29 Reading Levels
Animated Educational Site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts & Music, Health, and Technology
Daily Reading Expectations for Students
20 minutes - Read Online Daily - RAZ Kids
20 minutes - Personalized Online Reading learning Plan - i-Ready
Daily Math Expectations for Students
20 minutes - Personalized Online Math Learning Plan - i-Ready